Thursday, June 28, 2012

Blessings rather than Spitefulness


If I would’ve been offered a job six months ago in Columbia I’d have said no thank you siree. Living with my parents again? Living in a city with virtually no friends left in it? Live in a city that seems to not really offer anything? No, I had 99 cities to consider and Columbia wasn’t one.

So where did God ask me to go? Duh. The one place I TOLD him I didn’t want to be. Lesson #2: Never tell God what you will do, learn to consider what he wants you to do.

Do I think God put me here to spite me? I’d be lying if I said it didn’t cross my mind. Guess what though? God is bigger than petty emotions like spitefulness. He just wants what is best for me. Now I’m getting the blessing to finally see it and try to follow along.

Why did God place me in Columbia for the summer? I’ve asked this since the moment I found out and it has taken some time to open my eyes and see and now that I have, I’m learning more and more each day how awesome God was to place me here, to see my weaknesses, see how I could work on them here, and how to keep myself out of trouble.

1.     I live with my parents, it’s not exactly exciting in my spare time which means I get rest. For anyone that knows me, you understand that the crazy amount of classes and work and team, etc during the school year doesn’t really allow this. I’m finally getting rest...it feels awesome.
2.     I work in a Baptist Financial Foundation Office. The entire building is a daily workplace for God’s kingdom. I need that daily reminder of God and positive work environment so I can grow in my walk because it pretty much sucks, but I’m working on that.
3.     I’ve been saying I wanted a Master’s Degree in finance, my internship this summer in a financial office has really affirmed that decision. (I’ve learned so much!)
4.     I GET to be around NewSpring all summer, enough said.
5.     As a result of the above, I GET to volunteer as a chaperone for the Gauntlet.
6.     I’m getting to spend time with my parents as an adult, and finally respecting why they’ve made some of the decisions they have. It feels good to get to know them as adults and not just my parents. Who knows where I’ll be after graduation in less than a year?!
7.     I’m away from harmful influences. Alcohol is a struggle I have. For those that know my background you understand alcohol and partying isn’t something I like to deal with. I’m not 21, being the youngest intern is always hard when you’re rooming with those that are. Now, I don’t have others around me influencing me to drink because the rest of the group is going out.
8.     I’m saving money by living with the rents. No rent, utilities, or groceries? $500 a month saved easily. (Now I’m learning to tithe faithfully)

I’m sure there are many other reasons I’m here but these are the main ones and those I feel comfortable sharing. God has blessed me even when I was angry with him for sticking me here.

No comments:

Post a Comment